About The Well
The Well is UCR's student well-being and health promotion department, founded in 2009 as part of the campus and UC system-wide Mental Health/Healthier Campus Climate Initiative.
The Well provides health education, training, resources, and programming for students in a variety of topic areas, through a network of peer educators, mentors, and professional staff.
The mission of The Well is to provide quality health promotion and education resources that foster student well-being and academic success, and support a healthy campus environment.
- Student-centered approach: We center students in our work to ensure that our programs and resources meet their current needs. We create opportunities for peer engagement and foster student leadership development.
- Content expertise: Our professional staff are trained experts in their areas, and frequently lend their expertise to partnering departments. We train our student staff to be CPE certified peer health educators.
- Evidence-based practices: We employ a public health approach to ensure our programs are effective in reducing barriers to practicing healthy behaviors, increasing access to health resources, and supporting student well-being.
- Collaboration: We prioritize campus and community partnerships, and work collaboratively to build health into policies and practices that foster a campus culture of well-being.
- Social justice: We approach our work with a health equity lens to ensure we are meeting the needs of all our students, particularly populations who are systemically oppressed and exposed to additional harm
- Welcoming environment: We strive to create a welcoming, inclusive environment, free of stigma, in our department, our online spaces, and campus-wide.